Saturday 10 May 2008

Guardian, Saturday 10th May and Week Total


I'm angry about lots of things today, and I'm fully aware that the disproportionate gender representation on the Guardian's letters pages is one of the least of all our problems, but it's not doing anything to make me any less angry:


Today's topics:


And this week's totals in full (click on the 'week totals' label at the bottom to see results for previous weeks):


James Ink asked me how long I'm going to keep recording these totals for, and now I come to think of it I reckon I will keep going for another week, to make it a month in all. Then I'll get in touch with the Graun to see what the actual split is, and report back.

ALSO: Why have the pictures gone small again? That's making me angry too. GrrRRRRRRR!!!!

3 comments:

James Ink said...

Pictures seem normal size to me... re:your 'other blog' post - I think your probably right too that at the very least the % of female letters is a fair representation of what is in the letter sack each week.

But I'm hoping that there is some bias, because I'd love to see the letter editor explain themselves. Of course given that you can't prove what the mix of letters sent it is, I'm not sure they would admit a bias if there was one.

Maybe it would be sensible to continue the counting after you have contact them to see if their is a sudden uprising in female letters been published.

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to point out that a casual glance at the letters page of the Guardian Saturday magazine revealed a far more equal split - perhaps women even had more letters published, I'm not sure. I'd guess that the education and society sections might tell a similar tale... not so prestigious?

patroclus said...

Kate, I've just checked and you're right - five letters from men and seven from women in Saturday's Guardian Weekend magazine.