Thursday 24 April 2008

Guardian, 24th April 2008


A pretty poor showing today...


...perhaps these are 'men's issues', though:


I'm starting to get anecdotes from people who've worked in the newspaper business.

Leonie said:

'I once worked for a newspaper near my home town (in southern Germany). Very often I had to walk around with pen, paper and camera and do little opinion polls on the issue of the day. Very quickly it became clear to me that most women (of any age) did not want to share their opinions, and almost all men were very eager to explain their point of view to me and were clearly looking forward to having it published in the paper.'

'So unless people are very different in other countries, I think one part of the explanation could be that women simply do not write as many letters as men.'

And Malc said:

'During a brief spell as a sub-editor on the letters page of my former workplace (the Express & Star in Wolverhampton) I asked how we chose which ten or 12 of the 60 letters in the basket would be published. "Choose the ones that fit the space, but no lefties or other low-life," I was told. I left soon after.'

Does anyone else have any insight into how newspapers letters pages work, or how disposed either gender is to write letters to the editor?


P.S. Is it just me, or are these charts getting smaller and smaller? Hmmm.

2 comments:

Tim F said...

It's because you're getting bigger. Everything looks smaller.

patroclus said...

Either I've fixed it, or I've been at the bottle that says 'Drink Me'.

And I haven't been at the bottle that says 'Drink Me' for eight years now...